How wonderful to have a full five days together at school! In January, we have many special events and days off that can impact our routines, so it was wonderful to spend a full week together as a team. We hope you have been following all the fun on our classroom Twitter page!
We had a very busy week in 5th grade! Mrs. Bingaman was kind enough to share everything she learned about our Pen Pals from Taiwan and our students are very excited to receive their responses. We took the Reading MAP test and many of our students also took the Math MAP test. All students who still need to finish or make up the test will do so this week. As writers, students have been working to add figurative language to their stories in order to show a clearer picture in the reader’s head. We also learned about equivalent fractions in Math class. In Science, we discovered how breathing supports working muscles and also learned about the importance of the skeletal system. As readers, we learned more about how fiction impact reality and studied how to infer theme from any work of fiction.
This week will be shortened due to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day! Enjoy the long weekend! We will see you on Tuesday, which is following a MONDAY SCHEDULE (no Gym/Music). We will be celebrating the Character Counts Pillar of Caring with Kindergarten this week by making Valentine’s Day surprises for the residents of Luther Village. In Science, we will revise our initial models of the human body systems to reflect all of the learning we have done through our experiments. In Math, we will explore fraction and decimal equivalency and begin to understand the many strategies that can be used to add fractions. In Reading, we will be starting our Fiction Books Clubs as we explore the multiple genres fiction has to offer. In Writing, we will begin to plan our final Narrative Writing pieces for our class book, The Moment.
- Gator Rock is around the corner! Fifth graders have a special opportunity to be in the finale dance number for Gator Rock this year. Click here for more details. Rehearsals are already underway, but it is not too late!
- Believe it or not, World of Work is around the corner! This is a highly anticipated field trip for fifth graders, and it cannot run without your help! Please consider being a chaperone for such a special day. Click here for more details.
- Our Erin’s Law presentation will be on Friday, January 27th, from 10:10-11:10. For more information on Erin’s Law, visit the bottom of the Social Emotional Student Services page of the D25 website. If you would prefer your child does not participate in this presentation, please complete this Opt-Out Form and return it to the main office.
- Consider registering your student for the SIT Conference in February! It is going to be a fun-filled Saturday created by and for students! I will be there as a volunteer!
- Mrs. Bingaman’s Weekly Update is always full of great information!