This is the last week of Trimester 1! The students and I are both in shock at how fast the year has gone by. When I told the students our year is almost 33% over, there were many sad faces and choruses of “I don’t want it to be over!” We really are on track to have our Best Year Ever! Don’t forget to check out all of our fun on our classroom Twitter account!
The students had their first Star Party on Friday! They enjoyed a comfy day with pajamas, stuffed animals, and some Hide and Seek time at recess! It was a wonderful way to celebrate all of their success as a team so far this year. We are coming to an end in our Writing unit, so the students explored writing using evidence from the text in different genres such as letters and online discussions. In Math, we expanded our geometry knowledge by learning about different classifications of 2D shapes and angles as well as polishing our protractor and compass skills. In Social Studies, we analyzed primary sources from the Boston Massacre and learned about how perspective shapes historical reports. In Reading, we began exploring the genre of fiction by learning about the sub-genres and expanding our questioning repertoire.
This week, has many special events, but we will still be doing plenty of learning. We have the Halloween Parade and Party tomorrow afternoon and the Music Field trip on Friday! Students will also begin their Music Show rehearsals with Mrs. Sexton. Students will be showing off their well-developed writing skills by beginning their summative written response using evidence from the text. We will also be working on our geometry skills and finishing Unit 3 by learning about properties of polygons. We will finish up Chapter 10 in Social Studies this week by learning about the Boston Tea Party and the Intolerable Acts. In Reading, students will continue to build their nonfiction skills by learning about nonfiction text features and structures.
- Halloween Celebrations start tomorrow afternoon! If you child is not going home to change during lunch, make sure you send them with regular clothing for the morning and their costume packed up to change into at lunch.
- Friday is our Lyric Opera Field Trip! All students should pack a sack lunch or have ordered one from their school lunch accounts.
- Mrs. Bingaman’s Weekly Update is always full of great information!
- Know someone who has not enrolled in my blog yet? Send them an invite link!
- Don’t forget that our Homework Calendar is a Google Calendar that you can add to your personal account and pull up your child’s assignments every day right from your phone!