Hello 5th Grade Families!
We are looking forward to having a full week of learning coming up! In the past week, we kicked off Jump Rope for Heart, had our Erin’s Law presentation, and celebrated our second Star Party of the year! We have been busy bees!
As readers, we started our Fiction Book Club meetings and set our personal fiction reader goals in individual conferences. In Math, the students breezed through the last two lessons on fractions, so we took our Celebration of Learning early and did some problem solving work with Mrs. Kennedy’s class on Friday. In Science, we learned about the Nervous System through inquiry and scientific discussion. As writers, we are more than halfway through our first drafts of our Narratives for our book, The Moment! We hope you have been following all the fun on our classroom Twitter page!
This week, we will have five full days of learning! In Reading, in addition to our Book Clubs, we will be focusing on the skill of learning unfamiliar vocabulary through context clues. In Math, we will focus in on some data analysis through various graph and chart experiences. As writers, we will finish up our first drafts of our narrative stories and beginning the revising and editing process. In Science, we will learn about the digestive system as well as do some more exploration of the movements of different joints.
- Many important things went home in the mail this week! You should have seen Winter MAP Test results and Erin’s Law information on Friday in Backpack Mail! If you did not, please contact me!
- Gator Rock is on Friday Night! See you there!
- Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! As the holiday approaches, I have a few reminders to share. Students are NOT required to bring in valentine cards for their classmates, but if they choose to pass them out in class, they should have enough for all of their classmates. I sent home a class list of names in Backpack Mail on Friday. Students should also bring a bag or box to hold the valentine cards they receive from their classmates. Another reminder is that this party is a food-free celebration! Please refrain from sending in any valentines with edible treats as students will not be allowed to distribute them. Alternative treats like stickers, pencils, etc. are acceptable. Greenbrier Ambassador Club is also selling Gator Grams again this year! More information and pre-order forms can be found here.
- Believe it or not, World of Work is around the corner! This is a highly anticipated field trip for fifth graders, and it cannot run without your help! Please consider being a chaperone for such a special day. Click here for more details.
- Mrs. Bingaman’s Weekly Update is always full of great information!